Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Trying new techniques

I've tried a couple new techniques (new to me, anyway) -- colored pencils and shadows -- in this birthday card for my boyfriend's middle daughter.

The shadow didn't turn out as well as I had hoped, even after I used odorless mineral spirits to blend it, but the colored pencils -- all Prismacolor, this time -- worked like a charm. I wish I had kept track of all the colors I used, but fortunately I don't have that many pencils (yet).

I've had all the papers for some time now, so I don't remember where I got them, either. One of these days I will keep track of those sorts of things, I promise! I can tell you that the stamp comes from Whiff of Joy, though.

I'm entering this creation in Wild Orchid's sketch challenge. They have several beautiful items included in the prize package. I've posted the sketch below.



I must say thanks to the wonderful people of the Magnolia-licious Yahoo! group for their advice regarding colored pencils. Extra thanks go to Linda Imler (she knows why)!

UPDATE: I'm also submitting my card to the Craft Your Days Away "Anything Goes" challenge.

14 comments:

  1. Catherine,

    I love your coloring with the pencils. I know you would do a great job with them.

    Linda I

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful card Catherine. Thanks for sharing this technique :o)
    Hugs,
    Cabio

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your card Catherine - love these staffs and you did a great job coloring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful card Catherine! You've done a lovely job coloring with your pencils! hugs, Angela

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Catherine!
    super job coloring with the Prismacolors. I love using them too as well as my distress inks.
    Try making your pictures a little bigger on here as it will make your cards look even better.
    Hugs Maz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job with the Prisma's Catherine. I don't own any of these but they are very popular and do a fabulous job. I do however own Shopping Willow and I love her :) TFS
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. lOVELY card, Catherine!!! Wonderful job coloring with the pencils.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how pretty! Great job...I like the extra light touches on her dress and your shadows!
    Rene :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your card, that image is great
    Thanks for joining in at CYDA this time

    Jackie x

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOw,
    loving your interpretation of the sketch. Image it so cute too and you've colored her perfectly!
    Blessings,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow is right -- I love the colors you have achieved with the colored pencils -- gonna have to give it a try - pretty card!
    Sandy Dehon

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whata cutie Catherine! You did a GREAT job with those pencils!
    Judy K.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Catherine what a great job you did with this beautiful Willow stamp! Love it! Thanks for joining us at WOC!
    Hugs~ Kim

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great card! Thanks for playing along at CYDA this time.
    Carol Ann xx

    ReplyDelete